Aug 9, 2012

Not me, I fear life.

" ‘I read this quote once when I was a kid, “We live alone, we die alone, everything else is just an illusion', it used to keep me up at night, we all die alone, so why am I supposed to spend my life working, sweating, struggling for an illusion? " - George Zinavoy
The Art of Getting By is one of my favorite movies. Truly and honestly, is there a purpose to the life we live? Being agnostic, I don't believe in Heaven or Hell or an afterlife in general. Animals don't have afterlives and humans aren't any different or more special. We tend to forget that we are not superior and we are not invincible. Instead, the human race in general creates its own destruction.

The purpose of life is not to be happy. We are not alive on this planet to be happy. If that was the case, people would not be killing each other because of differences in belief, people would not be starving to death from famines and there would be no war. The purpose to be happy is for the first world and for the privileged. Often, I've wondered why anything exists at all when life just results in death and everything that we have worked hard for during our lifetime will be lost. Going even broader, why does our solar system exist, our galaxy, our universe? Why is there existence at all.

Maybe the hardest thing to accept is that there really is no purpose at all.